homework discussion

Home Forums Week 5: Phonology to Morphology homework discussion

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Deborah Sprang
      Participant

Hey guys, here are my thoughts on number one of the homework:

so there are two forms of morphological processes: inflection and word formation which can further be devided in derivation and compounding.

Inflectional processes change the form of a word so that it can be used differently in a sentence (for example to plural, or tense or comparative/superlative)

• for example adding a plural-s , a possssive -s or a 3rd person singular present -s. In terms of changing the tense of the word : possible suffixes are -ing, -ed. Or for the comparative -er, and the superlative -est.

Derivation occurs when a new lexeme is formed and there can either be  prefixes or suffixes added:

• prefixes changing for example the quantity (mono-, poly-) other prefixes could be co-, contra-, mis-, pseudo-,…
      • possible suffixes -er (speak-er), -ist, -ness, -en, -ify, -able, -less

Compounding occurs when two existing words form a new one (usually the word to the right identifies the word class). There can be noun-, verb-, and adjective compounds.

• time machine, broom closet, deep fry, deep green

I hope my explanation is right and simple.

I’d appreciate any further thoughts on this 🙂

Pia Marie Bageritz
      Participant

I would just add that Inflection adds grammatical information to a word

and that Compounding can be done with at least 2 words ( e.g. with 3 as in real estate agent).

🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.